What are the reasons of this OFW why they won’t be home for Christmas? Find out here!

The Christmas is near. Just like other Overseas Filipino Workers, (OFW) I, excited to go home too just to celebrate my Christmas with my beloved family and friends. But the news about the two-week suspension of issuance of new Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC's), or exit passes broke me and the other OFW's. Many OFW's have been prevented from leaving and maybe lost their job. This made me think about again to buy that expensive return ticket: SIN-MNL-SIN. For almost seven years, I'm working legally in Singapore as a direct hire. My work is to hire someone without going through an employment agency. Currently, it is prohibited by Section 123 of the 2016 Philippine Overseas Employment Administration(POEA) Rules. It is certain that there are exceptions, but these rely on Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III's judgment.

Is it not a bad obstacle? Is the labor secretary reading many requests for OEC exemption often? Is it too much to ask? And what does the other do while waiting for him to settle the issue? None, just waiting and praying that he came back to his senses until he understands that there is much more way to take care of Filipinos who worked overseas. They changed the rules last year that's why I do not apply for new OECs as long as I work for the same company. But when the time that I will find a great opportunity and want to change an employer, I need to apply a new OEC or whatsoever that POEA will require. What scares me is: If I will go back for Christmas, I possibly lose my job and the entire world I spent years building overseas. The new POEA rule might change everything that it might prevent me from leaving. By all means, there is a workaround: I could simply lie. I could claim that I, myself is a tourist and pay the travel taxes. They would not dare to lessen my right to travel, would they?

Last time, as I remember at Ninoy Aquino International Airport as I stood up in the immigration queue. I saw a domestic helper grabbing tidily their arranged documents greatly. Their hand shook as they reach the immigration officer; who would think that he had the power to decide if the "Kasambahay" will leave or not. I wanted to talk to them and said them to be chill, that it was just a basic right to travel and follow what they think is right to have a better life.However, I keep my mouth shut and minded my own business. Just like everyone in that appropriate OFW line, I, myself wanted to get out there with no problem. But the question is: Why do our "Kababayan" is scared to the immigration officer even though they have complete requirements? Because "offloading" is not unusual. An OFW can be stopped from leaving. At that point, you have to buy again a new ticket to get on another flight. Even the legitimate tourist are conditional to this unfair treatment. I would appreciate seeing improved and more realistic rules resolve by the POEA. I see how Bello's order protect OFWs from abuses. In addition, all-encompassing guidelines such as banning direct hires, with unclear exceptions, is a waste of time, effort, and resources.

I recognize Filipinos who work in multinational banks as a vice president. I honestly disbelief that these folks, even a lowly IT consultants for a global company just like myself, would use an employment agency's help to resolve an employment issue. The government would be improved off analyzing existing agencies that deploy domestic helpers and charge unreasonable fees that they have to pay over a lot of months - over SG$1,000. Let me correct that out: The POEA requires these respectful helpers to work for months just to pay agency fees. Is not a form of legalized, modern-day slavery. Back to my problem, should I come back home to Christmas and danger the possibility that if I go back overseas I would lose my job? Or should I just said to my mother that I will not be home for Christmas, her birthday, New Year's Day, just like in the previous three years? The danger of being cornered in my own country because of POEA rules changing is very nervous? We will have to be fulfilled with virtual hugs for a fourth year.
What can you say about this? Share your thoughts and reactions to us.


Share it on Facebook
Loading...
 
Share this News. Thank You!


Share it on Facebook

×
blogger